Managed App Configuration Settings
Added to Enterprise in version 7.1
Added to Plus in version 7.5.1
<dict> <key>homePage</key> <string>http://developer.apple.com/</string> <key>idleTime</key> <integer>30</integer> </dict>
In an MDM that enters values as a set of multiple inputs, like SimpleMDM, settings that are toggled either on or off are considered to be boolean values. Again the Show Address Bar setting, set here to ON:
This setting allows you to export your current Kiosk Pro settings as formatted list of key-value pairs for use in Managed App Configuration. Settings are exported in the .xml format used by MDMs that allow you to add all settings by copy and pasting into a single text field (like JAMF Pro).
There are a couple of settings not included in an exported list - specifically the SMTP password (for security), the Unique iPad ID, and the Kiosk Name and Unit Name for the Remote Management Server (to prevent accidentally overwriting with the values from the original device).
If you need to set any of these values through Managed App Configuration, you can either configure all settings manually using the template provided or you can export a settings list and copy and paste the key-value pair for that setting from the template to the configured list.
To export the settings:
- Open the Kiosk Pro settings on the iPad that is configured.
- Scroll down to the Managed App Configuration category and select Export.
- Select "Export to file" or "Send by email" from the navigation.
A file called "mdm_settings.xml" will be created in the Kiosk Pro documents folder on the iPad, which you can transfer via iTunes. If you chose "Send by email", a window will appear allowing you to create an email, and the file will be deleted from the documents folder after being sent. This file’s contents will then need to be copied and pasted into the correct place within your MDM.
Steps for setting up a Mail account:
- Open the iPad’s General Settings (silver gear icon).
- Choose ‘Mail, Contacts, Calendars’ from the sidebar and choose ‘Add Account’.
- Choose an email provider from the list and enter your login information for your email account.
- Make sure that the toggle for ‘Mail’ is On.
- Choose ‘Save’ and you’re ready to go.
To transfer the file to your computer:
- Connect your iPad to a computer and open iTunes.
- Access your device by clicking the 'iPad' or 'iPhone' button that appears at the top left of the screen.
- In the left sidebar that appears, click 'Apps'.
- Scroll down to 'File Sharing' and click on the version of Kiosk Pro you are using.
- Select "mdm_settings.xml" and click 'Save to...' at the bottom of the file listings to save this to your computer.
Test File for Errors
- List of keys with missing content - A set of <key> tags have incorrect or missing data inside of them or with them.
- Example: <key></key> instead of <key>homePage</key>
- Encountered empty <integer> on line # - An integer tag is missing a value.
- Found non-key inside <dict> at line # - The <dict> tag is either missing a closing </dict> tag or there are incorrect items inside the set of <dict> tags.
- Encountered unknown tag ___ on line # - An tag has incorrect data, often as a result of a mispelling.
- Example: </flase> instead of </false>
- List of unknown keys - A set of tags have incorrect data inside them.
- Example: <key>PassCode</key> instead of <key>settingsPassCode</key>
- Value missing for key inside <dict> at line # - A set of <key> tags is missing data.
- List of keys with impossible value - An integer is using an incorrect value.
- Encountered unknown ampersand-escape sequence at line # - An ampersand symbol ('&') is being used without being properly escaped.
- Can’t Load XML File - The url is incorrect or unavailable.