Change Log: Lite
Released on June 12th, 2019
Changes & Enhancements
- Removed “UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend” flag to comply with upcoming changes in iPadOS 13. This change allows Kiosk Pro to continue running in the background when it is closed using the Home button, Home indicator, or four-finger pinch gesture . To terminate the app on an iPad running iOS 12 or later, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause slightly in the middle of the screen to see recent apps, then swipe up on the Kiosk Pro preview.
- Tapping a URL in the Blocked Request Log allows you to choose to add the full URL or just the URL’s domain to the Allowed Domains list.
- We did a little late-spring cleaning:
- Renamed the Navigation category to “Navigation Permissions” to help differentiate it from Navigation Bar settings.
- Renamed Timers category to “Content Refresh” to make it more clear what these timers are for.
- Touch areas were misaligning on the 12.9-inch and 11-inch 2018 models. To fix this, we have temporarily reinstated the safe area for the Home indicator as we believe functionality is more important than the loss of space at the bottom of the screen. We are continuing to look for a solution that supports both and will revisit this as soon as we find one.
- Browsing Time Limit was not resetting as expected when the Idle Time Limit executed.
Released on May 8th, 2019
- Links with redirects that opened in new windows were blocked.
Released on April 25th, 2019
Changes & Enhancements
- We changed how Lite monitors internet access. Lite will only check for internet access while someone is interacting with the device, or when internet access is lost.
- We changed our deployment to devices running iOS 9.3.5 or later, meaning we no longer offer support for devices running an older iOS version. This allows our team to tighten our focus for supporting the app.
- Removed the safe area for the Home Indicator on 12.9 and 11 inch iPad Pro 2018 models.
- We’ve added an alert for the Show Settings feature to warn you if you choose “Never”.
- Removed “Log All WebKit Requests”. These logs were huge so if accidentally left on, the app could crash. They were also only applicable to UIWebView and rarely helped us solve issues.
- URLs including ‘userinfo’ were being misunderstood.
Released on February 14th, 2019
- Pages were not loading as expected when navigating back from a PDF using WKWebView.
Released on February 8th, 2019
- Specific types of links that open new tabs/windows were still being blocked.
Released on January 11th, 2019
Changes & Enhancements
- Optimized the app for the new 11-inch & 12.9-inch model iPads.
- Links that open in new tabs/windows were being ignored.
Released on October 30th, 2018
Changes & Enhancements
- If Kiosk Pro detects the underlying WKWebView browser has crashed, the app will reload the browser.
Released on August 20th, 2018
- Adjusting the iOS brightness was not changing the Kiosk Pro brightness setting.
- Data was not clearing on relaunch when this setting was turned on.
Released on June 28, 2018
- Crash that occurred sometimes when an HTTPS:// security prompt was left open and the idle timer executed.
Released on June 22, 2018
Changes & Enhancements
- The ‘Need Help?’ button in the settings menu opens our knowledge base within the app instead of in Safari.
- Tapping a touch callout in a PDF shown in an iframe caused the app to crash. While touch callouts will still be shown in this circumstance (as we cannot find a valid way to block them), the app will no longer crash if they are selected.
Released on June 7, 2018
- Kiosk Pro was not interpreting URLs that contained certain symbols (like ‘@’) or unusual formatting correctly.
Released on May 30, 2018
Changes & Enhancements
- Improved our algorithm that checks for and handles errors.
- Changed “Clear Cache on Relaunch” to “Clear Data on Relaunch”. This setting will clear cache, cookies, and session & local storage when the app is relaunched.
- Moved Browser Engine settings to the Advanced menu.
- In UIWebView, when a PDF was embedded in an iframe, the page would automatically redirect to the PDF.
- URL schemes for other apps were not opening as expected.
Released on October 24, 2017
Changes & Enhancements
- iOS 11 introduced a drag and drop feature to allow moving data between apps. Since most use cases require the iPad to be locked down to Kiosk Pro, we’ve disabled this functionality as it could be confusing for users. If needed, it can be enabled again in our Basic, Plus or Enterprise versions under Advanced Settings.
- The app was ignoring the HTML viewport property “user-scalable”.
- The value of the screen.width property was returning incorrect dimensions on the iPad Pro 10.5-inch.
Released on September 13, 2017
- Added Allowed Domains screening for asynchronous navigation requests, which are frequently used by complex web apps, including YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. Due to how iOS handles these requests, this screening occurs after page load, meaning that the page will display briefly. When Kiosk Pro sees the page and identifies it is not allowed, it will immediately navigate to the previous page and display a blocked request alert if configured to do so. This functionality can be disabled if preferred in Advanced Settings.
Changes & Enhancements
- Updated our algorithms to prevent text selection inside an input on devices running iOS 11.
- New graphic assets for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.
- The app now automatically dismisses any blocked request alert shown after a few seconds.
- Removed ‘Disable Tel: Links’ setting as it was incompatible with Apple’s latest revision of their App Review Guidelines.
- The status bar was displayed with the incorrect background color after returning to the settings menu using a touch gesture and passcode.
- When a URL with an encoded ampersand character is set as the Homepage, the app will now automatically decode the ampersand to correctly display the page.
Released on June 26, 2017
Changes & Enhancements
- Updated graphics used on the app’s native error screens.
- Audio continued to play after the Home icon was pressed during video playback.
- When 'Enable Text Selection for Accessibility' was turned on and the iOS accessibility settings associated with Speak Selection enabled, the app was failing to show 'Speak...' as one of the options when text selected.
Released on April 17, 2017
Changes & Enhancements
- Slightly increased the touch areas for icons in the navigation bar and updated icon graphics.
- We now prevent tabbing through inputs when using an external keyboard and the UIWebView browser engine as this combination frequently causes app instability and crashing. If you want to support tabbing through form inputs, we recommend use of the WKWebView browser engine.
- The app now automatically reloads the page if it is notified that the WKWebView browser component has crashed, which would previously have resulted in a blank screen.
- The iOS touch callout menu (cut/copy/paste) was being shown in WKWebView on long press of an image map.
- When showing the address bar, Kiosk Pro was including entries for a behind-the-scenes process, ‘About:srcdoc’, that have now been removed.
Released on February 15, 2017
- Added the ability to select which iOS browser engine is used to render content. By default, the app now uses WKWebView, which is faster and less likely to crash. To revert to the previous browser, select UIWebView.
- Fixed a bug where using an input tag to connect to the device’s built-in camera would cause Kiosk Pro to crash.
- Fixed a bug where the Idle Time Limit triggering when a video was full-screen would cause Kiosk Pro to crash.
Released on December 27, 2016
- Fixed an issue where the volume slider in app settings displayed at the incorrect width.
- Improved the progress messaging shown while sending troubleshooting logs.
Released on December 2, 2016
- Fixed a bug where PDF’s were not displaying correctly in Lite.
- Removed ‘Look Up’ and ‘Share’ from the text selection popup shown if ‘Text Selection for Accessibility’ is enabled to prevent visitors from leaving the app.
- Text selection in the Address Bar, which was previously always allowed, now follows the Allow Text Selection for Accessibility setting.
- Added the name of the app to the App Version setting.
Released on November 1, 2016
- Added Crashlytics to gather more comprehensive crash reporting from more users.
- For iPhone/iPod users, we moved the ‘Powered By’ tab above the Navigation Bar to uncover the navigation buttons.
Released on September 12, 2016
- Blocked the native iOS Open/Copy/Share popup from appearing when a visitor long-pressed a link.
Released on August 5, 2016
- We moved Timer Settings above Navigation Settings. Just so you know.
Released on July 1, 2016
- We changed some category names to help with clarification in the settings menu.
Released on June 7, 2016
- Found a workaround for several situations where the app was previously unable to idle time out to the Homepage while a video element was playing full-screen in the native iOS video player. This issue remains outstanding when accessing a video element from within an iframe. More detail on this here.
Released on May 10, 2016
- Updated the Blocked Request Log to include requests for content shown inside iframes.
Released on March 29, 2016
- Updated the app’s default error screens with sizes for the iPad Pro and corrected a direction error with the Arabic translation on those screens.
- Fixed an issue clearing the cache on relaunch of the app.
Released on February 24, 2016
- Fixed an issue with transforming plain ‘#’ links when using Guided Access.
- Replaced alerts in several areas of settings with a more permanent reminder.
- Lite will not clear cache on relaunch even if the setting is enabled. This will be addressed in our next update, but as a temporary workaround, if you need to clear the cache, you can delete and reinstall the app as needed.
Released on February 2, 2016
- Updated required iOS version to 8.3 to support certain app features.
- Modified the touch gesture for getting back into the settings menu a little to make it easier for iPad Pro users. While the previous four corner touch will continue to work, so will placing two fingers each on the right and left sides of the screen.
- Made the settings menu always display in landscape orientation for iPhone/iPod.
- Removed 'Enable Automatic Reload on Homepage'.
Released on November 9, 2015
- Added Failed Requests Log to Lite.
- Added localization to Lite so the ‘Powered by Kiosk Pro’ tab and Blocked Request Alert will translate to different languages based on the language configured for your iPad in iOS settings.
- Removed text from bottom of the settings menu.
- Made some aesthetic improvements.
Released on October 29, 2015
- Replaced old local help text files with online Knowledge Base entries for each setting.
- Added a Clear Cache on Relaunch toggle to the app’s Advanced Settings. On by default, this setting clears the cache when the app is relaunched.
- Included a setting allowing easier access to the app’s Advanced Settings, located at the bottom of the settings menu. No more tricky touch gestures required.
Released on October 9, 2015
- Aligned setting names to improve readability.
- Fixed a bug where the cache was not being cleared when the app was exited.
Released on August 17, 2015
- Added an advanced setting allowing you to toggle the link processing the app does to prevent iOS from showing ‘Guided Access is enabled.’ alerts whenever a link is touched while running Guided Access. By default, this link processing will remain on.
- The alert shown when URLs are blocked due to a conflict with the Allowed and/or Restricted Domains lists is now shown when a request to launch another app is blocked as well. Renamed several settings to reflect this change.
- Fixed a minor display issue.
Released on July 9, 2015
- Fixed bug introduced in the 6.5 update that interfered with page loading.
Released on July 8, 2015
In the 6.5 update we introduced a serious bug that can interfere with page loading.
The bug appears to have been added as part of a different last-minute bug fix. The resulting empty page may be seen after the app is initially launched, following a page reload or after accessing app settings through a touch gesture and passcode.
We sincerely apologize to any users who downloaded this update and are immediately submitting a patch to Apple with a request for expedited review.
- We’re moving from our UserVoice helpdesk system to Help Scout, which means that the previous ‘Need Help?’ widget will be transitioning to a link to our new knowledge base. While we’re planning for a seamless transition, if you see any problems, just let us know.
Released on June 20, 2015
- As we are constantly updating Kiosk Pro to work with new releases of iOS, it becomes more difficult to support the app on older iOS versions. Kiosk Pro is now only supported in iOS 6 & up.
Released on April 28, 2015
- ‘Passcode is incorrect’ alert for opening the app settings menu with touch gesture and passcode is automatically dismissed after a few seconds.
- Fixed a bug with how the Idle Time Limit interacts with full-screen videos.
- Fixed a bug with the Idle Time Limit triggering while app settings were open.
- Fixed a bug with the iPad Status Bar displaying incorrectly in certain cases.
- Fixed some bugs involving memory leaks and improved memory performance in general.
Released on March 26, 2015
- Fixed a bug with Disable Touch not applying in certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug with a white bar appearing at the bottom of the screen.
- Fixed a bug with certain websites covering the Bottom Navigation Bar.
Released on March 6, 2015
- Fixed a bug with the Idle Time Limit not functioning correctly in certain circumstances.
- Fixed a bug with the Browsing Time Limit not triggering.
- No longer transforming links inside frames due to display issues. Previously, all links were transformed so the Guided Access message would not be displayed (due to a bug in iOS 8). This means links inside frames will display the Guided Access message when selected.
Released on February 12, 2015
- Moved settings from the ‘Display’ category that are interaction-based to a new category called ‘Interaction’.
- Moved ‘Enable Reload on Homepage’ to temporary beta settings.
- Fixed a bug with input fields corresponding with a Bluetooth keyboard.
- Fixed a handful of bugs for specific use cases.
Released on December 30, 2014
- Added a “Powered by Kiosk Pro” tab at the bottom of the screen to increase app visibility.
- Made it easier to select a setting for editing by increasing the size of the touch area.
- Updated the app to automatically pull and use the latest in user agent string technology, which should translate into more successful page requests by certain websites under the tree this year.
- Added “Enable Drop-down Menus for iOS 8” for our users experiencing bugs with drop-down inputs.
Released on November 18, 2014
- Improved responsiveness and performance of the app when running for longer periods.
- Removed the ability to select text inside input fields.
Released on October 14, 2014
- Fixed a couple of bugs involving the 4-finger touch gesture to access settings.
Released on October 8, 2014
- You can delete logs you no longer need from the ‘Troubleshooting Assistant’ advanced setting.
- The “Guided Access is enabled” alert no longer appears when links are tapped on devices running iOS 8.
- Added ‘Log WebKit Requests’ to the Advanced Settings menu for additional help with troubleshooting.
- Fixed a handful of bugs involving using the 4-finger touch gesture to edit your settings.
- Fixed a bug involving incorrect location data.
Released on August 20, 2014
- You can now set your Homepage from the ‘Local Mode’ table.
- The interface for Allowed & Restricted Domains has changed to make editing lists easier. We’ve also made some slight changes in the Allowed/Restricted Domains algorithm to help you with complicated URLs.
Released on July 17, 2014
- Added ‘Blocked URL Log’ to help troubleshoot Allowed/Restricted Domains, including the ability to export a .csv of all blocked URLs and to add a blocked URL to the Allowed Domain list.
- Touch gesture to access Kiosk Pro’s settings will now trigger without lifting from the screen, making it easier to know when you've held the gesture for the full second required.
- The Idle Timer will now continue to run and trigger a Homepage refresh even if a visitor navigates back to the Homepage manually.
- Added a troubleshooting assistant so you can quickly send us the details of your Kiosk Pro setup, helping us to help you.
Released on May 15, 2014
- Updated the settings menu gesture recognizer to reset correctly if using ‘Show Settings On > Touch Gesture and Passcode’ if no changes were made to settings.
- Fixed an issue with the status bar not rendering correctly in certain circumstances.
- Took care of minor errors in settings text and in-app help.
Released on April 7, 2014
- Reformatted the information available about the app through the traditional settings menus and updated our splash screens.
- Fixed a couple of minor display issues with the settings interface.
- Took care of a bug that prevented the support widget from displaying correctly if the settings are shown 'On Touch Gesture and Passcode.'
Released on March 27, 2014
Fixed known issue in version 4.0, where app crashes immediately on launch.
Released on March 20, 2014
- App crashes immediately on launch.
- Integrated access to support forums through 'Need Help?' button in app settings.
- Automatically dismiss settings passcode prompt after a short period of time.
Released on January 23, 2014
- Changed default behavior for tel: and other internal links to be ignored.
Released on January 17, 2014
- Updated in-app help text Updated ad banners.
Released on November 27, 2013
- Removed app settings from iPad settings.
Released on October 3, 2013
- Added updated graphics for in-app settings, address bar and bottom nav bar.
- Resolved bug with passcode keyboard not appearing in iOS 7.
Released on September 13, 2013
- Resolved bugs with clearing cache and homepage refresh.
Released on August 11, 2013
- Resolved bug with idle timer not working with fast-click implementations.
- Updated .pdf display algorithm to allow for urls that contain parameters other than page number.
Released on July 25, 2013
- Resolved bug with idle timer not triggering correctly.
Released on July 17, 2013
- Improved detection of connection state and app memory management.
- Resolved several issues relating to navigation and links when viewing .pdf files.
- Changed in-app help text formatting to support iPhone and iPod.
Released on May 6, 2013
- Removed bottom navigation and address bars from 'Goodbye Page'.
- Updates to memory management when displaying large or dynamically generated pdfs, also when updating files remotely Improved handling of page loading errors and detection of connection state.
Released on February 20, 2013
- Resolved bug that allowed access to the native iOS Cut, Copy, and Paste menus.
- Added support for Bluetooth keyboard so that keystrokes act as a touch for Idle Time Limit.
- Resolved a bug allowing visitors to exit the app through direct links to the iTunes App Store.
- Updated graphics for loading progress indicator.
Released on October 24, 2012
- Improved connection checking algorithm for Lite to rescue itself from a "No Internet" screen when a connection is found without requiring any assistance.
- Added support for PDFs loading correctly after being idle for a period of time.
- Resolved several bugs that were causing the progress indicator to fail to time out correctly under certain circumstances.
- Resolved a bug allowing mailto: links to exit the app.
Released on September 12, 2012
- Support text selection in combination with Speak Selection accessibility settings.
- Improved error handling.
- Updated open-source library to improve app stability.
- Added volume and brightness controls.
- Resolved several bugs with Idle Time Limit.
Released on June 8, 2012
- Implemented command to prevent WiFi controller from going to sleep during inactivity.
- Added more flexibility for Allowed Domains Reorganized in-app settings.
Released on April 7, 2012
- Improved PDF display functionality.
- Removed touch, address bar, and bottom nav bar from 'Good-Bye Page'.
- Added in-app settings menu.
- Updated graphics for retina screens.
Released on February 1, 2012
- Updated 'No Internet Connection' page.
- Re-enabled support for iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Disabled pop-ups for cut, copy, paste, and internal links.
Released on December 12, 2011
- Added support for checking internet connectivity.
- Deny redirects unless url is in 'Allowed Domains' setting.
Released on July 26, 2011
- Added support for Kiosk Restart app.
Released on June 23, 2011
- Resolved several bugs.
Initial release on December 20, 2010